Friday, November 7, 2008

It's a Ben and Jerry's Kind of Day

The past few weeks have been hectic as I suddenly realize I am done with my sixth week of college.  I wonder where those weeks went and what I have done with all that time.  It didn't disappear into thin air, but here everything seems to fly by and it is hard for me to even remember what I did yesterday, much less two weeks ago.  This week was a week to top it all: the election, mid terms and a steady downpour.  These things all put together in one week resulted in a Thursday afternoon sitting in a chair curled up in a blanket with a pint of Ben and Jerry's in one hand and a spoon in the other while watching old FRIENDS episodes.  All of these things were intended to make my mood a better one.  

Did my mood get better?  No, of course not, no one actually feels great when the ice cream runs out and you must go back to the real world, but I did and as the evening unfolded, it slowly got better.  It got better through little things: Balsamic vinegar back at the salad bar, warm embraces, a disney movie, and scripture shared with friends.  It's odd how these are the things that made it better, but I am often surprised to see what makes me feel better.  When I came to college, some of the special things that made me happy have now become regular habits and it was time to find new things.  Let me share how the tiny and some seemingly insignificant things have contributed so much to this dreadful Thursday and my past weeks at college.

First is the balsamic vinegar, the one deliciously healthy alternative to actual salad dressing.  When I try to eat healthily in the cafeteria, it often results in a scrumptious piece of greasy pizza and a plate of lettuce with caesar dressing and goldfish crackers.  The one thing that was healthy was the lettuce, but it's health factor has been scratched out by the dressing, so I discovered the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Four weeks later, it disappeared and I was back to my unhealthy salad habits, which resulted in me feeling unhealthy no matter what I ate.  Then tonight, on one of the hardest nights so far, the healthy alternative was back and I was overjoyed.

Then there are the hugs.  Hugs from old friends and new friends alike.  Some in passing, others as greetings or farewells.  Sometimes simply a shoulder to lean on when I'm feeling especially alone.  Such a simple action with such a significant meaning.  Hugs are very important to me and fill me up inside.

Of course, where would I be without the Disney movies, an age-old medicine for when you're feeling low.  Tonight, it was "Monster's Inc." and every time you heard that little girl talk, my heart leapt a little bit with joy.  To be in a college dorm room, I assume that no one would find it cool to like Disney movies as much as me, but it's really brought us together on many occasions.  An escape from the broken world we exist in to the happy endings that occur in all Disney movies.

Fourth, scripture has never felt so important to me as it did tonight.  We were studying Hebrews 1-3, but my flighty eyes wondered across the page to chapter 4, verse 7:
"Today, if you hear his voice
   do not harden your hearts."

This one tiny sentence brought me hope to last forever.  Today, if I hear his voice, I will not harden my heart.  That was my trouble, I was not listening for His voice and my heart was hardened, saddened and simply ready for the week to be done.  It is so easy to forget in the fluster of our days that Christ is always there, always with us, even if we don't realize it.  Reading this verse was a much appreciated slap in the face for me and I am so thankful for being able to share these thoughts with my friends every Thursday night.

In the end, all it took to heal my painfully long week was reading a sentence in a book.  I didn't truly need the balsamic vinegar or "Monster's Inc."  All I needed was eleven words giving me hope for a healed today and a better tomorrow.  Essentially, that's what we all need isn't it?  Hope.  Just one tiny glimmer of encouragement that we can make it.  Thank you, Lord, for being with us in our darkest of times.



No comments: