Saturday, June 20, 2009

Some Things I Will Never Forget

There have been many moments this year that will never slip from my memory.  Beautiful and sometimes ridiculous moments with wonderful friends and lessons learned.    A lovely year, full of lovely times.  Let me share them with you:

1. Going to Fred Meyer at midnight my first night at school and breaking a bunch of vases.
2. Skipping orientation to watch Stranger than Fiction with Craig and Emily. 
3. Doing (unbeknownst to me) The Thizzle Dance with Liz in front of all the residents.
4. Driving to Deception Pass instead of Camp Casey.
5. Lying under the stars in a big field with Jessica and realizing the blessing that SPU was going to be for me.
6. Getting my face cut up by the blackberry bushes and calling myself Scarface the rest of the weekend.
7. Mattress Dominoes!
8. The day I wanted to be with an old friend and Allison Pringle miraculously appeared.
9. Listening outside my window to Brian Hibbard and half of Hill Hall worshiping in the main lounge on a random Tuesday night.
10. Teylar Greer.
11. Praying on the first day of class.
12. Floor dinners.
13. The last day of Fall Quarter when I bought Thai Food and sat and watched the wind blow outside my window.
14. The snowy Sunday at Bethany.
15. A white Christmas.
16. The fuzzy hats that Noah bought all of us for Christmas.
17. New Year's in Fresno.
18. Driving in the snow...it is not an easy thing to do.
19.  Snow on the first day back after Christmas.
20. Learning how to play the ukulele.
21. Playing music with Anna.
22. 4th Hill Christmas Morning, complete with Santa and cinnamon rolls.
23. group.
24. Inauguration day!
25. Teaching tap dancing to many girls on my floor and one boy from Ashton in the Hill Hall Lobby.
26. Tetris addicts turned into Oregon Trail fun.
27. Listening to all the different people playing piano in the lounge and, by the end of the year, knowing who they all were by their own style of playing.
28. Old-Fashioned Fridays.
29. Watching the snow fall on three different Thursday mornings with Teylar.
30. Teachings from Suzanne Wolfe:
  • You are valuable to God simply because you exist.
  • God works through us in a fallen world, it is grace through nature.
  • True ugliness is ugliness of heart...the inability to love.
  • Grace is frightening because it asks us to go from the place where we're comfortable to another place...it's meant to save us, but it instead terrifies us.
  • If we give something, we give everything. If we give everything, we give nothing.
  • Moments of pain and sin come with a purpose and GRACE
  • Love means laying down your life.
31. A terrible class that led the way to a beautiful friendship (Jillian and I became friends during UFND).
32. Dahlstroms in Disneyland!
33. Applying for (and being rejected for) SMC.
34. The realization that my faith grew exponentially when I was entirely okay with not getting that position.
35. Deciding that theatre is no longer my life and changing my major to Global Development Studies.
36. Our band, Friends & Family.  Late night practices, the Q-Cafe show and savory crepes.
37. Hill Hall Ball...so many memories.  Fly Me to the Moon, Paper Planes and All the Single Ladies.
38. Ben and Anna...how exactly did that happen?
39. Late nights of talking with Aly.
40. Tucking in Krista and Ali Morgan.
41. Smallgroup picnic.
42. Quelf bringing me to tears.
43. Fourth Hill Talent Show.
44. Holly Pocket, Hollipop, and Mamma Holly.
45. Watching Life Size with the brothers.
46. Breakfast: Tator tots with Anthony, watermelon thieves and those Monday/Wednesday/Fridays with the lovely ladies of Fourth Hill.
47. Roomies with Chris Hanson.
48. Fourth Hill...the bro flo.  How I love them all... 
49. Seeing Hello Dolly with Paul.
50. My last night in the dorms: staying up until 4 in the morning with Megan and Anna.  Remembering what a year it has been and being so thankful.

It has been quite the year and I am constantly amazed by the blessing it has been for me.  I will never forget my Freshman year at SPU and I can only hope that next year will be just as wonderful!

3 comments:

Anna said...

These are great.
And I adore you, my love.
I cannot wait to share each day together next year.
You are such a blessing in my life.

Jillian said...

I love you Holly =)
and I agree that Frosh year was BOMB. we're SO incredibly blessed.

Paul said...

I'm so delighted that you had such a good year Holly!
also...I was just thinking about "Hello, Dolly" yesterday because I was whistling "Put On Your Sunday Clothes." When that song is in my head it's there for good!