Saturday, August 21, 2010

Licht Krieger!

My biggest challenge and my greatest joy, those are the two ways I can describe my team. Both descriptions are very true and what it came down to was this: they were wonderful people, but so incredibly fit. Our fitness levels ranged from mine-a girl who works out by tap dancing-to Dominic, a German 22 year old training for marathons. The first few days, I didn't notice how strong they were, but when our first tour hit, I could feel myself slowly falling to the back of the line. After our first day of hiking where we left last and ended up at our destination quite some time earlier than all the other teams, I asked myself, "Why am I on this team?" I quickly found out I was on this team to learn some lessons. Lessons about humility, strength and joy. We were a team of very distinctly different personalities.


We had our fearless leader, Tony. A man who listens to country music and line dances on Friday nights, but happens to hail from Northern California. He was cynical about everything which caused me to defend my optimism even more than I did before.







There was Karen, our civil engineer from Hamburg, Germany. She taught me how to deeply care for people, always cook with salt and the vital importance of a very good friend.




There was Sarah, a priceless gem. Through thick and thin, there was somehow always a smile on her face. When she had monstrous blisters and when we were camping in the pouring down rain, she somehow managed to keep all of our spirits high.

We lost Jonathan two weeks in due to a dislocated shoulder, but he was an excellent friend from the start. Easy to talk to with a full life behind him and a full life before him. He dressed like an old man and was so utterly proud of it that we too wanted to look just as goofy.

That brings us to dear Celeste. I met her about five seconds after I arrived in my room. She was a vivacious bubble of energy who knew Taurenhof front and back. She was only 19, but carried on conversations that a 25 year old wouldn't dare to attempt. She taught me the beauty of relaxing and enjoying every moment of life.
















Dominic...how do I even begin? 22 years old from Southern Germany, but he is already fluent in three languages, has spent a year doing missions work in Africa, has a beautiful voice and ran 12 km in 45 minutes. A phenomenal man, but the most humble person I know. He always hiked in the back of the group so that nobody would have to feel like they were last. He carried my climbing equipment on a day that I couldn't bare the weight. He taught me that it's okay to ask for help.

And Luke, dear wonderful Luke. A Canadian who had been traveling the globe since January, he was just about closing off his trip with these five weeks in Austria. I am so glad he was on our team for many reasons. He embodies the rule of "a time to speak and a time to be silent." Sometimes he would be absolutely silent and other times we could talk forever on the trail about everything big and small.


It was a wonderful team and I'm so glad I was with them. They were always very encouraging, even when I so often doubted myself. They taught me that it's okay to ask for help, to cry when I must and to laugh when I want. I was quickly dubbed "Happy" because even when I should have been so entirely unhappy, there was always laughter mixed with tears. There was something about the combination of the mountains and this wonderful team that brought out the best in me. I came alive when I was with them and it was a true honor to be a part of the Licht Krieger with them.

And in case you are wondering, Licht Krieger means "Warriors of Light" and it has to do with Ephesians 5:8 which says: For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light." We did our best to make this ring true as we walked through the mountains together. Step by step, sore muscles and all.

No comments: