Saturday night, a group of old friends sat in my room as I unpacked and we talked for hours. These were friends who a year ago, I didn't know existed and now they were sitting in my room having theological discussions. It was a sign of growth. Growth in my own life, but growth in all our lives as a whole. Sophomore year will be something entirely new for all of us in different ways. For me, it's a new major, a new roommate, a new appreciation and dedication to music. For others, it's a new floor, a new position or a new school. The point is, we're all in the same boat: Freshmen, sophomores, students, faculty...it doesn't matter. We're all facing a new year, a new set of challenges and a new dynamic across the campus. Do I fear this? Yes, I'm terrified, but I am so excited to see where this year will take me and those around me.
I spent the weekend at a leadership conference with all the student leaders for this year. I didn't realize that being on a worship team considered me to be an official "student leader" with roles and responsibility to the campus. When I figured this out, my heart leapt a little, realizing that God has called me to something significantly bigger than I had assumed. And when approached with the question "Why am I here?" I had to think about it for a long time. I am on group staff because I wanted to be an SMC and didn't get it, so I had to choose the next best thing. I thought to myself "what a dumb reason" but then found out it wasn't just me. And then I realized that group isn't "the next best thing," it's a perfect fit.
I am on group staff to lead worship and to grow. To grow in my relationship with Christ and to deepen the relationships with the people around me. Part of me is very sad that I won't be close to every single girl on my floor this year, but that is the reality of the matter and I'm starting to grasp it. The girls will still know me and I will still know them, but it just won't be the same creation of deep relationships as last year was. And that's okay, every sophomore faces a situation like this every year and when the freshman become sophomores, they will understand.
None of us know what the world will look like by the end of this year. Perhaps it will be drastically different or perhaps the only thing that will change is the kind of espresso we drink in the morning. That's what's exciting to me. None of us know and that's the beauty of it...the world is wide open to us! We can go anywhere and do anything and only time will tell where we'll end up.
Now I sit here on my couch staring out the window at the beautiful view of the trees that are already changing colors. I hear not the whir of the coffee grinder, but that of plant services making sure the lawns are freshly manicured for Freshman Orientation. A week from now, I'll be at work after a full Monday of classes and will steam another pitcher of milk wondering what awaits me this year. I know it will be full of stress, lack of sleep and frustration. I also know that it will be full of love, music, friendship and beauty. And those surpass all else.
3 comments:
I love you. I'm so excited to join you soon in our room and to live life together this year :)
you'll be a light there... and I'll be as proud of you as ever... love to you as you begin the adventure.
dad
Hi Holly!
Can't get in touch with you any other way. We had such a great time with you! Please write us an update on school...
Your German Family.
Peter and Co.
Post a Comment