Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ecclesiastes, You've Done it Again

What a week it's been. Moments of laughter. Moments of tears. Joy. Heartache. Late nights. Early mornings. Saying too much. Saying nothing at all. Fear. Confidence. Stress. Peace. Where does the up and down end? I ask this to myself everyday and everyday, I hear the answer I don't want to hear: It doesn't end. And then one day, I heard a different answer: Ecclesiastes.

It's The Byrds song and it's the word of God. A Time for Everything.

There is a time for everything
and a season for every activity under heaven:

a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

-Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

The Israelites once felt the same thing I did. They also felt lost and these were the words they heard. The whole book of Ecclesiastes is very somber because the premise is that "everything is meaningless," but I find immense hope in little places.

When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider:
God has made the one
as well as the other.

-Ecclesiastes 6:14

God created the good, but He also created the bad. He made the world in a perfect balance, so that we can brace ourselves for reality, but we can also see the hope that we find in the Lord. We see hope in the fact that each day is a new day.

The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.

-Ecclesiastes 1:5

It's a scientific fact with a poetic twist. "The sun rises and the sun sets." Fact. "Hurries back to where it rises." Poetry. To me, it's 13 words that help me get up every morning. God created day and created night and I think it's important to see the freshness in every new day. If we let the sorrows of yesterday seep into the realities of our today, how will we ever move forward?

Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?"
For it is not wise to ask such questions.

-Ecclesiastes 7:10

I must stop comparing this year to last year. This a new year and I need to get used to it and stop dwelling on the way things were. Was last year a beautiful thing? Yes, it was. It was the biggest year of my life, but this year can be just as big. I must move on with an attitude that says, "I will live and I will love." Above all things, I must love. Christ has shown me so much love and it is my job to spread that love. To live each day with love in my heart for the people who surround me every moment of every day.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.

-Ecclesiastes 3:11-12


1 comment:

Hannah Balenda said...

hannah here.

firstly, whenever i read the title of your blog I think of cabaret and i get that song stuck in my head, (and it's a good thing!)

secondly, Ec 1:5 really struck me here, it's such a sweet visual. So i looked up the hebrew for the word "hurry" and it has the sense of exhaustion and eagerness. Like, this is toil we're at, and it's a cycle, but we're still moving forward, and it's that hope that keeps us going. i don't know if that got cheesy at the end, but it makes sense in my head!

anywyay, keep up the good work, rock star!