Life #1: School
If you know me at all, you know it's never been my favorite thing. The papers, the exams, the reading, the quizzes...it's too much for me. I get worn out and discouraged, I almost always fail multiple choice tests and my scatter-brained mind doesn't know what to do when I have more than fifty pages of reading at one time. The lectures, though, I love the lectures. I love LEARNING, I just don't like the fact that I am forced to do homework and get graded on it. So here I am, week 9, and wondering, "How have I even made it this far?" I have read three textbooks cover to cover. I have written a twelve page research paper. I have struggled my way through philosophy. I have memorized the countries and capitals of the world for the third time (I must admit, I will miss my geo-quizzes). Yet, as I reviewed for my final tonight I realized how amazing it is to be in school. I am in school because I want to learn more about the things that have sparked my interest. I want to be an informed citizen of this country and steward of this world. I want to be able to get a job doing what I love when I graduate from college. Call me crazy, but the 9-5 life doesn't sound so bad to me as long as I'm working for the greater good. But that's a long way off...right now I've just got to make it through the next two weeks.
Life #2: Rwanda
Are you aware that I'm getting on a plane on June 16th and flying to Kigali? You can read more about that journey here (www.hollydahlstrom.wordpress.com), but let me just tell you why it has been consuming my life. Not only am I trying to raise a huge amount of prayer and financial support, I am also so completely distracted right now. The more I learn about Rwanda and the closer I get to it, the harder it is to be present right where I am. I want to go meet the people that I am told I will meet. I want to see where I will be living. I want to meet the World Relief program director. I want to smell the supposedly smelly city. I want to feel the warmth of the new climate. My heart is having trouble staying in Seattle at present because I am anxious to do this. All that I have been learning is about to be put into action for the first time and I am beyond excited.
Life #3: group
Yes, it has been consuming, but I absolutely love it. A couple weeks ago, every spare minute I had was spent conducting an interview. Then there were auditions. Then there was the absolutely grueling process of choosing my staff for next year and that sick feeling in my stomach after we told so many people "no." Then there came Saturday. Normally "leadership kick off" is an event that I scoff at, but I felt that I needed to get over that if I am the coordinator. Yes, LEADERSHIP KICK OFF! It was actually one of the greatest days of the quarter. We volunteered at a place called the Nature Consortium and pulled invasive blackberry plants to preserve a forest in the city. A few hours later, after a couple ridiculous conversations and dozens of root balls pulled from the ground, I was surrounded by new friends. I cannot express to you how excited I am for this unexpected opportunity in my life. It will be challenging and tiring, but the hours spent with this new group of friends will be beautiful, I can already tell. I am also very much invested in this year's staff, though, and my heart aches when I try to imagine next year without them. Braden won't sneak up behind me and grab me by the shoulders every day. I won't hear the phrase "Holy smokes!" nearly enough times. I won't be lulled into a very peaceful state every time Aly's fingers touch the keys of the piano. I won't have those three minute rides to practice that serve as a time to catch up on life. Things will be different next year, but for now I must immerse myself in the beauty that is this year.
Three lives, but slowly they are all coming together. School is preparing me for Rwanda. Rwanda will teach me so much. I will be able to bring lessons back from Rwanda and bring aspects of a new culture into group. And group will once again change my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment